Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I am a Millionaire, and I love Frugality

Ever since we cancelled our CableTV, I have did more reading in the past year than in the last 10 years. It all started with the pregnancy and parenting books, and I got bored. So I moved onto books on budgeting, finance and investments.

Currently I am on Thomas Stanley's 'Stop Acting Rich... And Start Living like a Millionaire.' He is the author of the phenomenal bestseller 'The Millionaire Next Door' as well.

I told you I am on a frugal journey now. And I have a sneaky suspicion that apart from being a better steward of money, God has brought me on a journey on learning about finances and prosperity. So in this book, Thomas Stanley shared on his observations on the millionaires. I am about 1/3 through the book and there are common traits amongst the rich and powerful.

1) They usually have supportive spouses and happy marriages
2) They believe in integrity and discipline
3) They are frugal, they believe in paying for value rather than extravagance (No you won't see them in expensive suits or upscale neighborhoods)
4) They usually live under their means (Note it's not within, they live way below their means)
5) They usually would be seen in Toyotas and Hondas, rather than what you expect (Mercedes, BMWs, Maserati, Lamborghini)

and the list goes on...

So I was right. The advertising/marketing messages are all meant for people who are acting rich, who have problems with keeping up with their expenses rather than building their assets. And I am so proud I took on the path of frugality, because I am on my way to having my first millionaire.

If I can't get there by way of offensive, I will go defensive. I defend my wallet and future security. But out of all these, I am still paying my tithes and offerings to God. At the end, I still believe that God is the one that grants me the ability to attain success and wealth.

Happy Tuesday everyone :)



No comments: